From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu [mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, 7 June 2000 16:53
To: ALLA Raphael
Cc: 'gtk-list'
Subject: Re: gtk+ on IBM AIX

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 14:11:30 +1000, ALLA Raphael <alla.raphael@tms-pty.com>
said:

> I have tried to install glib and gtk+ on an IBM powerPC running AIX. When
> try to run the program HelloWorld, as given in the tutorial, the program
> core dumps.

Well.. I seem to be what passes for an AIX expert here, so...

> Platform: powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0

Note that there's a known bug in the handling of .so format shared libs,
apply bos.rte.bind_commands 4.3.2.6 or later.  This may or may not matter,
depending on how your version of libtool is configured...

> checking for thread implementation... none available
> configure: warning: You do not have any known thread system on your
>                 computer. glib will not be thread safe on your computer.

Look in configure.log for what caused it to do this.  I seem to remember
a headache about this, but I submitted a patch that *should* have been
in 1.2.8 (and it found posix threads just fine on my 4.3.3 system).

> #0  0xd56e22e4 in gdk_init_check () at gdk.c:159
> 159     gdk.c: No such file or directory.
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xd56e22e4 in gdk_init_check () at gdk.c:159
> #1  0xd56df860 in gtk_init_check (argc=0x2ff21e28, argv=0x2ff21e2c)
>     at gtkmain.c:199
> #2  0xd56dfdb0 in gtk_init (argc=0x2ff21e28, argv=0x2ff21e2c) at
> gtkmain.c:423
> #3  0x10000498 in main ()
> #4  0x100001dc in __start ()

Not your fault.  There's something squirrely under AIX causing it to
coredump there for 1.2.8.  1.2.7 was OK.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst