Getting the width of widgets

Hi folks,

Reading the gtk source code is not helping me solve my current
problem! I've got a hbox with a clist and vseperator in it. What I'd like
to do is find out the width of the clist and the seperator so I can
generate a pixmap to fit the remaing space.

The clist can be empty, but it has a title which by default gives it a
width of ~70 pixels. The best I can find for getting the width of the
clist is clist->allocation.x but that returns -1. The clist can also be
resized.

Anyone got any idea for getting the width of widget or remaing space in a
box?

Ta!

Rich