gtk-timer

Hi,
I am a total newcomer to GTK /GDK programming and this is probably a stupid
question! I have written a simple graphics program to draw a single line scan on
the screen (a simulated oscilloscope display) and am using the gtk-timeout-add
function to update the scan at regular intervals. For times in excess of about
30ms per point this works fine. Below this number reducing the time interval has
no effect on the update time until I enter the minimum 1ms at which point the
scan is drawn quickly. The function being called is very short so the update
time should be no problem. The behavior is also exactly the same on a much
faster computer. Because of my lack of experience with these functions I`m sure
the problem is of my making and don't want to waste your time  but can you just
confirm that there is nothing strange about this function at short time
intervals?
I am using GTK version 1.2.6-7 shipped with Red Hat linux 6.2. The compiler has
no apparent complaints.
Thanks,
Nick Soffe. (Oxford Uni.)