Re: locale

oscheel@fz-borstel.de writes:

> Hi *,
> if I try to run a program that uses gtk, I got the following message:
>

> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

The warning means that your locale setting (the LANG or LC_ALL
all environment variable) is not supported by the operating
system.

The problem is not specific to GTK+ - it is just is noisier
about it than other programs.

A possible reason for this is if you have the LANG or LC_ALL
environment variable set to 'de' - the C library only supports
de_DE.

I don't know enough about SuSE  to say where this is configured
for the system.

> Speicherzugriffsfehler//segmentation fault

This is most likely unrelated to the warning and represents a bug
in the program. We'd need a backtrace of where the crashes
to say for sure.

> I'm running a SuSE 6.2 linux. I got this program running well on a
> SuSE6.1 but not on a SuSE6.4; on this systm, the first window starts
> but then the progrm hangs and with it the whole x-server.

Probably nothing to do with GTK+ or the program ... but without
knowing what the program is, very difficult to say. This problem
sounds like it is a bug in the X server. (I believe that SuSE 6.4
might ship with XFree86 4.0.0, which is rather buggy on some
video cards.)

Regards,
                                        Owen