Re: Gtk::Text widget

-> > 	I think of my widget as structured in layers, like in the Gimp.
-> > The bottom layer is the gapped text buffer, the next layer up are the
-> > "Style" spans (which are optimal for scanner-based syntax highlighting).
-> > The third layer up will be overlapping tags, in a tree structure, once
-> > I've had time to write it.
->
-> Would it be possible to have multiple "Styles" applied to spans for things
-> like being able to have tooltips on the text inside the box? Eg, to display
-> information about C structures when holding a mouse over the reference.

	A "Style" (or technically, the GtkEtextStyle) is currently just a
linked list of Pango attributes.  It would be possible to add whatever you
wanted to the list, but you'd need to write extra code in the "View" to
handle non-Pango attributes.

	The feature you mention is one I plan to implement in my
application :).

-> Using multiple spans would also allow right clicking on text to bring
-> up a menu associated with that bit of text without having to try and
-> calculate where the text is currently being displayed in the text
-> widget.

	A Style can have as many attributes as you like (including a
pointer to a callback function of some kind), but some of this may be
better implemented with "Tags", which are overlapping.  I have not yet
implemented tags in my widget, although it is planned.

-> If you're not interested in adding this, please let me know how I would
-> be able to assist in this (unless you feel it wouldn't be of sufficient
-> general purpose value).

	I need to write the "View" first, and then see where these
features would fit in.  But, I *do* wish to add features like the ones you
describe.  I just don't know if they belong in the widget or in the app,
yet.

--Derek