Can't get ./configure to work.

>From within the gtk+1.2.8 directory when I run ./configure it goes as far
as "checking for glib version >= 1.2.8" it always returns no for this
check.  I've edited the /etc/ldso.conf so that it pointed to
/usr/local/bin/glib-config and ran ldconfig and still no joy.  I edited
the line within glib-config
	--version)
	echo 1.2.8
	exit 0
	;;

to see if that made a difference.  All that I found was that it was
reading this section when I did some bazaar things but it could not get
1.2.8 into ./configure program.

Any suggestions?  Obliged John.