Re: Maturity of gtk+ on NT?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Monsler" <eric_monsler@radixtek.com>
To: <gtk-list@gnome.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 3:37 PM
Subject: Maturity of gtk+ on NT?

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering about the maturity level of the port of gtk+ to
> WindowsNT.  If I write a GUI application using gtk+, perhaps doing some
> displays with glade, can I reliably expect to be able to run it on NT
> after recompilation with cygwin/mingwin?

I've found it to be quite reliable under Win32.  I sometimes notice some
extraneous refreshes, but I assume this is due to differences between Win32
& X.  Some drag-and-drop features don't seem to be implemented.  A final
caveat is that I have only used it with MSVC under Win32 - as I understand
it, compiling GTK+ under cygwin is somewhat convoluted.

> Some of my displays would really benefit tremendously from being
> changeable on the fly, without recompilation, but I might be launching
> those displays from another display not built with glade.

If you use C++, you would benefit greatly from the SDPGTK class library for
GTK+ ... it is able to combine run-time generated UIs with XML layout files
and "native" gtk_XXXX calls with great simplicity and flexibility.
http://www.k-3d.com

Regards,
Timothy M. Shead
tshead@k-3d.com