Re: Object persistence?

Shippy! <shippy@cs.nmt.edu> writes:

> Does GTK provide any methods for persistence? I would
> like to save data from widgets and linked-lists to a file,
> but I would like to be able to just save the data to
> a file in binary so the file is smaller and quicker to
> save/load.

Jeff--

I really hate to say this, since I think it will result in me getting flamed, but
if you want persistence in C (for the kind of application you're doing), you'd
best link up to an RDBMS.  Otherwise, I'd say that your system is a really good
candidate for being written in Java, which supports persistent objects painlessly.
Look at gcj (I think someone is working on preliminary gtk+ bindings, or you could
use swing if you have to run on winblows) if you're concerned about speed.

wb

---
Will Benton '00    | student emeritus and emissary lead developer
bentonw@stolaf.edu | web waste:  http://woggo.webfreekz.com