Re: Keys in gtk 1.2.8

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

>   No, control-shift won't work - control-arrow will.

I don't understand how I could write ctrl-shift when I ment ctrl-arrow. I
must be tired...

> As for gnumeric - it
> doesn't use GtkEntry or GtkText for cells so it's completely different topic.
> Ask gnumeric's developers about adding control-arrow for movement by words.
> But control-arrow works fine for me in GtkEntry widgets (for example in entry
> of "Gnome foot"->"Run program.." of gnome desktop).

Well, It doesn't work here. Neither in the "Run program", file-dialog or
any other place where I guess that the gtkentry is used.

It turned out that sawfish was catching my ctrl-arrow events. It's default
keymap uses it to jump to next/prev workspace. I have only one
workspace (and nine viewports) so for me nothing happend with ctrl-left
and ctrl-right.

I guess it's in the default keymap since I have not added it to
sawfish. But on the other hand I have upgraded from one version to another
for a long time so maybe that setting is left over from that and it's
removed from the current default keymap.

It's not a gtk-list issue. But since sawfish is recomended WM for Gnome
maybe one should go through the keybindings making sure they dont overlap
in the standard setting.

Thanks for help. I usually don't use the ctrl-arrow myself but other
(windows-)people using my computers have been complaining about it..

This is a general problem. The window managers are catching keys and the
application programmers can not set useful keybindings since they don't
know what the window manager is using. It's also a problem when you
document your application since that keys might not work as stated in the
manual.

/Dennis