Re: [gtk-list] Re: colors

> >     I have several widgets I made which allocate their own colors.
> > Is this a bad idea?  Would it be better to use a style file some
> > how to designate colors, and if so, how is this done?
>
> This depends on a lot of factors:
>
>  - Are the widgets for general use? for use within an application?
>    For use within your computer?

I made the widgets for my application.  But, some of the widgets
may be useful outside of the application (for example, a knob widget).

>  - How many colors are you using?

About 4 or 5.

>  - Do you care if your stuff works on pseudocolor (i.e., 8-bit) displays?

The colors dont have to be exact, but yah, the application shouldn't
be broken.  I dont think this is a problem though, is it?  Given
that I have only a handful of colors and they are well seperated
from each other.

>  - Should users be able to configure the colors?

This isn't strictly necessary, but it would be nice if the application
let the user change the colors.

> It's hard to give a general answer except to say that in most cases,
> general purpose widgets should constrain themselves to the colors
> in the standard style structure. And in fact, most general purpose
> widgets should try to draw themselves entirely with GTK+'s paint
> functions (gtk_paint_*) if possible.

well, I don't think gtk_paint_* had all the primitives I needed.
I suppose I could make the widgets use the default colors, but only
if I have a decent way to control what those colors are in my
particular application.  It seems like I should be able to do this
with a gtk style file, but I haven't figured out the details of that
yet.  But that would require that a style file be installed when
the user runs the program, unless there is some way to compile in
a default style?

> > Also, I want to change the background color of a window that I create.
> > What is the proper way to do this?
>
> Either gtk_style_set_background() or gdk_window_set_background() depending
> on what you want to set the background to.

danke.