Re: [gtk-list] Re: Documentation

I sure did RFTM, but i noticed that some parts of the RDP are very
unclear. I'm not talking about the simple stuff, like creating a label
or a button. It's more the advanced stuff. Looking at the GDK part of
the RDP I see only 50% of it if filled out. There just sits there
without any comment. During development of my app, it's been a hell of a
job to search through all the source files of gdk, just to know
something about e.g. a GdkImage or something like that. I'm not saying
the docs aren't good. The basic stuff is filled out, but when developing
a bit more complicated app, you'll have to dive into the sources.

Example: in our app (image viewer) i had the choice between a GtkImage,
GtkPreview, GtkDrawArea and a GtkPreview. I couldn't find the difference
between these image widgets anywhere. Also information about all
enumerations of GDK and GTK. There are a lot of them ,and although the
names are often very clear, a few aren't.

I admit, it was my first app to write using Gtk, there was a time
pressure ,etc, so it could be i didn't took enough time to search other
sources, etc , to find things out. Sometimes writing to this mailing
list helped, which IMHO is a good thing. However, i believe the function
of a doc like the RDP is to make sure i don't have to search everywhere
for info how to do this or that. While developing my app, i just
noticed, that the RDP didn't fullfill this need YET. Hence my mail as a
advice to increase the work on the RDP.

I believe Gtk can (and will) be used in commercial enviroments ( our app
was written for a hospital ,so that's not really a commercial enviroment
(at least not here in Holland)). However this requieres a good
documentation. Programmers at a company don't have time to look into
"thousands" of source codes or to find information all over the net.

I think it's important ,gtk will be used in commercial enviroments. This
will show the real demands for Gtk. Non-commercial projects don't do
this, because there's not much at stake. If one does not find some info
in the RDP, he/she will go find in indeed on the net, because there is
time avialebele for this.

Conclusion: i think gtk is a very good toolkit, however, when
programming some advanced programs, or using some advanced features,
there is a lack of documentation, which is a shame.

Jeroen