[gtk-list] Re: gtk 1.2.6 prob

> Hi. I'm trying to install gtk1.2.6 and it keeps telling me that I need
glib
> 1.2.6. Says my current version is 1.2.1 even though I went and got
1.2.6 and
> installed it
> without any errors. Running gtk1.2.6 the 2nd time, it still says I
need to
> upgrade to 1.2.6...how do I solve this? I dont know how to check the
> current version of my glib or where it should be. So I dont know if
the
> program is making an error or if I"m doing something wrong...could
you help
> me solve this as easily as possible? Thanks. Easiest way to fix this
says is
> to remove the old glib...but how do I do that? do I rm -r
> /usr/local/lib/glib maybe?

To see what version of glib you have installed try 'glib-config
--version'

Now if you are certain you installed 1.2.6 and the command above says
1.2.1, you might have a glib-config in your path that belongs to an old
install. The older install probably has put the glib-config script in a
bin directory that has precedence over the bin directory where 1.2.6's
glib-config was installed.

Try 'locate glib-config' and if your locate database is not up to date,
'find / -name glib-config'

That SHOULD come back with only one such file in your various bin
directories. If not, delete both, and do another install of glib-1.2.6.
(It might also come up with manpages and files from the source tree,
ignore those, just look at files which are in bin/ directories, or other
directories which are in your PATH)

And uninstalling the old one should be easy if you installed with RPM.
Have a peek at the rpm manpage (I don't have a clue about rpm because I
work with FreeBSD)

If you didn't use any form of packages to install try 'glib-config
--prefix' (before you throw it away of course). From the directory
displayed I think you need to delete lib/glib/ and lib/libglib*

            DocWilco