Re: [gtk-list] Need help for compilation on solaris

Takdir CHOWDHURY wrote:

> Machine architecture: Sun sparc
> OS: Solaris 2.6
> Compiler: Workshop cc compiler 4.2.1
> Glib version: 1.2.2

I don't have that version installed any more, but as far as I remember,
I never had problems with Glib and Sun's 4.0 compiler. Note that the
current Glib version is 1.2.6, so I'd advise trying with that first.
And GTK+ 1.2.6, of course.

> My compiler produces the following errors.
> ./glib.h: line 491: undefined or not a type: gint32
> ./glib.h: line 491:  warning: "typedef" only valid for function declaration
> ./glib.h: line 491: syntax error before or at : gssize
> ./glib.h: line 491: old-style declaration or incorrect type for: gssize
> and so on.
>
> If you need more errors to figure out the problem, plz let me know.

For some reason Glib types were not defined, but I don't know why.

> Another thing is that when I run the configure script without options it
> crashed saying  that "I can't find the thread implementation posix".

On Solaris Glib uses Solaris threads. Posix threads are also available
on 2.5 and latter and the configure script should find what it wants.
Are you sure you have /usr/include/thread.h, /usr/include/pthread.h
and related things?

> Finding no way, I ran the configure script with "--disable-threads" option
> and it worked. Which thread implemention I should provide for solaris in thi
> s case?

I never had to do anything about it, since the defaults just worked.
Maybe you have some bogus commands in your PATH. Or you don't have
everything you should have.

> And I set the value cc for the environement variable CC before
> running the configure script. But the Makefile which is yielded by
> the configure script had the value CC(Sun C++ compiler) for CC variable. So,
>  I changed the value(CC=cc) inside Makefile manually. Could anyone
> tell me why this is happening?

That's very strange. Could you try with version 1.2.6 and if it still
doesn't work post the contents of your PATH. And which shell you're using?

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.