Re: [gtk-list] Re: Some ideas about GtkText

Lars Hallberg wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 02:19:53PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> >
> > What I suggest is that the GtkText class should be an almost abstract
> > class, with private subclasses that implement text editors with various
> > flavors.
> >
> > A text widget would be created using:
> >
> > GtkWidget * gtk_text_new(GtkTextType    power,
> >                        const gchar   *hint,
> >                        GtkAdjustment *h_adj,
> >                        GtkAdjustment *v_adj);
> >
> While we are dreaming ;-)
>
> Add a contens type (mime or like) so more advanced editor widgets can
> chose higlight / edit mode frome it (ie C-mode, SGML-mode).
>
> Still while dreamimg... A cool feature is to be able to switch widget
> on the fly (ie: I realise after a while I will edit one text allot
> and switch to emacs).
>
> I'm in no time to implement this in forseable futer :-( so let's hope
> ther somone out ther looking for tru hacker value ;-)

I guess my point of being able to choose your desired text edit widget would
be to allow people to implement  the above behaviour as well as any other
that tickles their fancy.

Nicolas' suggestion of an abstract class for text widgets is a good one.  Can we
use gtkrc to load a text editor widget, with a fallback to a standard widget?  Presumably
the text widget would reside in a .so file so we get around the Corba dependency
previously objected to.

Corba awareness could be implemented by putting a Corba aware text widget in the
.so file.

As an aside, if this dynamic loading of complete widgets goes anywhere, I would like to
be able to have this for file-selector widgets as well.

> /Lars
>
> --
> Lars Hallberg                         Micro++  www.micropp.se/
> Freeware * C/C++ * Python * Linux * Debian * HTML * Javascript

Kent