Re: [gtk-list] Re: Glib's trees and FYI: TkText widget

Leon wrote:

> Derek Simkowiak wrote:
>
> >         The widget spends a large amount of time in these linked lists of
> > segments.  Also, the TkText falls apart if you do not have \n's
> > distributed semi-regularly throughout your text.
> >

> As you probably remember, I suggested that nodes of tree should keep
> chunks of text which are being split in two if bloated up to a certain
> limit. Unfortunately this virtually ignores presense of '\n' in the text
> in the role of line delimiters. But IMHO \n's themselves are outdated.
> They are a thing of 80x25 text terminals era. Nowadays linewrap depends
> on a widget size and varies. That's simply a fact. I'm afraid that
> disposition of chunks of text in tree should have no connection with
> linewrap/linebreak. You can see a linebreak ('\n') as a thing that grabs
> the whole visible space in the end of line, so forcing a linewrap before
> the next character.
[...]
Hi, it is probably a bit late to consider this and I am definitely ignorant
of the issued involved but have you considered using XML and the data
structures that are implied by the document?

There are many ways to work with XML and data structures (DOM, SAX, Grove,
etc) that are already implemented and provide ways to get at the document
however it arrives including a streamed input or multi level trees.

I'm not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs so please excuse me if this is
all missing the point.

Regards, Dermot