Re: [gtk-list] Re: A Super Text Widget Thingy

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu writes:
> There is already code in XEmacs to support being an embedded widget,
> ... Another big concern is launch time and memory footprint ...
> *REALLY* want a text widget that has a 8M binary, and startup times to

The code works a little like gnuclient -- it basically asks an xemacs
server to connect a new emacs window to an existing widget. I've never
seriously excercised it, but the design concept is quite nice. Yanking
text between applications for example doesn't have to go through the X
server as a selection or cut buffer -- it can use the standard emacs
kill ring. Another nice feature is that macros, customizations, etc.
only get loaded once and the editing widgets have full access to them.

It should be quite simple to provide "standard" key bindings (i.e. not
emacs ;) for the editing widgets. They would be very easy to change
with a .emacs file too, so people who know emacs don't have to live with
two standards.

- Ken

--
Ken Fox, kfox@ford.com, (313)59-44794
Ford Motor Company, Powertrain           | "Is this some sort of trick