GtkCList focus

I am trying to get GtkCList to work like e.g. Windows lists where
pressing a key will move the focus to a row starting with that letter.
If the focus is already on such a row, the focus should move to the
next row starting with that letter.

I have a hard time doing this. For one thing, is the ->focus_row
member public? I see no accessor function for getting the contents of
the focused row (not the selection). Thus, I think that I need to use
focus_row combined with gtk_clist_get_text() calls to get the
functionality that I want.

Is there an easier and/or better way?

--
Regards, Anders