A Super Text Widget Thingy

Hi all,

I was thinking about XEmacs, and how it allows you to embed it as a
widget inside your program, and I thought it would be really cool if
GNOME/GTK+ had its own XEmacs type text editor widget that was
completely scriptable, and acted completely consistently across
apps. For example, suppose you decided to write an IDE with a built-in
project manager and code editor, you could use this widget, which
would provide syntax highlighting, and all the nifty stuff XEmacs
does. Then, if you wrote a LaTeX-based document formatting program,
you could use this widget as the main editor part of your program, and
it would act similarly to XEmacs LaTeX mode. An email program could
also use this widget. All the scripts written to provide these modes
could be kept in a single directory, similarly to XEmacs lisp package
library. I know we could probably hack XEmacs to work with GTK+, but
it would probably be best to write one from scratch, to make it
seamlessly join in with the rest of GTK+ and GNOME. Has anyone thought
about doing something like this before? I think it would be really
cool, and would be a great contribution to the GNOME project.

Pete
<pbg1854@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>