Re: [gtk-list] Re: Resizing widgets with a mouse [OT]

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >You're making my case!  It's the user that wants to place the
> >windows/widgets into a very tight area with their own geometry.  The
> >WM simply cannot do this and shouldn't ... I agree!  Keep in mind
>
> The WM can do this, but most of them choose not too. You may never
> have seen the "old" Siemens RTL window manager, which imposed "tiling"
> (non-overlap) policy on all windows. The WM can force windows to go
> wherever it (or the user wants).
>
> >that 'no decoration' translates to 'no function' with regards to
> >resizing and moving the windows, at least nothing as
>
> Sorry, but you're wrong about this. A window manager can choose to add
> a border without the "top frame" and allow resize/move to be driven
> from button/key events when the pointer is on the border. its not the
> same as having the "top frame" that many WM's routinely use.
>
> >not my goal.  The goal is to allow the user a workspace were they can
> >place th eir widgets to their liking be it right or wrong (you know
> >much like the Unix philosophy of allowing you to do whatever you wish
> >while programming be it rig ht or wrong!).
>
> I use both IceWM and fvwm2, and I can do this to my liking with both
> WM's. I have several windows (Emacs, xosview, gcd) that i prohibit
> "decoration", but not "borders", and others that have everything, and
> even some with no border but a decoration ("transparent" rxvt's, for
> example). even without borders and decoration, i can
> resize/raise/lower/move windows with keyboard commands to the WM.
>
> What's the problem ?
>
> --p
>
> --

Hasn't this gotten really far off tangent for "Is there a way to resize
widgets with a mouse?"

begin:vcard
n:Campbell;Steven M
tel;pager:8108708367@alphapage.airtouch.com
tel;fax:(248) 299-4830
tel;work:(248) 371-3324
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.sequoianet.com
org:Sequoia Diversified
adr:;;107 South Squirrel Road;Auburn Hills;MI;48326;
version:2.1
email;internet:SCampbell@SequoiaNet.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;-9024
fn:Steven M Campbell