allocate/requisition handling

Hi all,

I'm moving an app from Motif to gtk, and I was wondering about menubar
behaviour.

This app has a *lot* of menus ... it makes one for every user file it
loads, with shortcuts for the defs that file contains. Motif wraps menu
bars ... so if you have more menus than fit across the window, the menu
bar grows in height and you don't loose stuff off the right.

I was half thinking about hacking this behaviour into gtkmenubar, but
looking at the way containers work, I'm not sure its possible.

As far as I can see, I need to be able to refuse an allocation (I have
more items than I can fit in), and make another requisition (I'll accept
that width, but can I have more height please). Does gtk have this sort
of iterated layout negotiation and I've failed to spot it, or is that
something that was deliberately left out?

Thanks for any clues (I guess I should find some other way to present
this stuff to the user),

John
--
John Cupitt, john.cupitt@ng-london.org.uk, +44 (0)171 747 2570
VASARI Lab, The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London, WC2N 5DN