Re: [gtk-list] GDK Threading

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:36:02 +0100, Christian Zander wrote:
> I'm looking for some material on writing threaded applications
> using gdk. I've failed to find anything usable so far.

Check out question 5.2 in the GTK+ FAQ:

  http://www.gtk.org/faq/gtkfaq-5.html#ss5.2

> I'd also like to ask for a quick explanation of the workings /
> usage of GDK_THREADS_ENTER and GDK_THREADS_LEAVE respectively.
>
> how does e.g.
>
> bla bla bla
>
> GDK_THREADS_ENTER();
> do_sth();
> GDK_THREADS_LEAVE();
>
> return whatever;
>
> behave? Given this is some sort of function, when will it return?

I think this will aquire the global GTK lock before calling do_sth() but I
don't know in what it differs from gdk_threads_enter()/gkd_threads_leave().

Erik

--
There is a style of design I call "wishful thinking engineering. It starts
with something like "pigs can fly if you feed them enough beans" and develops