Re: [gtk-list] Re: Nevermind (was: Glib BTree & GTree wrapper)

Andrae Muys <a.muys@mailbox.uq.edu.au> writes:
> In light of this, I would love to see *more* not less in glib.  I would

Keep in mind that if you add too much, people won't use it "because
it's too big." How often do you actually need a data structure other
than the basic ones already in glib? Very rarely, and when you do it's
a special purpose application where a generic structure is unlikely to
work anyway.

STL is somewhat different, because it's all header files - if you
don't use it you pay no penalty...

> also like to see some of the Gtk+ specific stuff moved out into Gtk/Gdk so
> glib can become a true datastructure and utility library independant of

There isn't any GTK+-specific stuff in glib.

> problem domain.  One thing I have on my TODO list is to compare the
> current state of glib with the STL and see where glib win's, loses, and
> where there are holes that can be filled.  In fact I joined this mailing
> list solely because I am interested in glib and couldn't find a glib-devel
> list.

The devel list for glib is gtk-devel-list@redhat.com.

Havoc