Re: [gtk-list] Re: Nevermind (was: Glib BTree & GTree wrapper)

> >         Well, Josh MacDonald introduced me to a relatively new data
> > structure (from the late 80's :) that I'd never heard of before: Skipped
> > Lists.

> I don't know much (not to say nothing), about data structures, but glib should
> be a very little library (that's the intended use, isn't it?), so I don't see
> the point of adding many complex structures to the library.

	There are already some common, basic data structures in glib:
linked lists, a binary tree, a hash table, and others.  This provides a
robust, cross-platform, well-tested and well-understood API to build your
program's data structures with.

	The codebase is relatively small, and since it's used by every
single GTK+ and/or Gnome program, it only gets loaded into memory once.

	Whether or not skipped lists make it into glib probably depends on
the popular opinion of developers.  If it is a general enough structure to
be worthwhile, it will probably make it in there.

	To quote Havoc's book: "If you need a generally-useful routine
that's not in glib already, consider writing it in glib style and
contributing it to the library!" (GTK+/Gnome Application Development, pg.
36).

--Derek Simkowiak