RE: [gtk-list] Re: Image Libraries

I appreciate the quick responses to my post.  I agree that writing Yet
Another image library is a real pain-you-know-where, but it looks
increasingly inevitable to me, since it seems as if all of the libraries
I've looked at place a strong emphasis on displaying images, and end up tied
to the graphics subsystem.  What's needed is a simple
reader/framebuffer/color reduction/writer lib, totally independent of OS,
that shares an interface with display libraries, toolkits, like GTK+, etc.
I've also noted that many of the image libraries seem to use a plethora of
external connections to pbmplus, libjpeg, libthis, libthat, etc.  which
falls under the category of "too clever" in my book ... it's code reuse,
yes, but at the expense of maintainability.  The hypothetical ideal library
that I'm describing would make the individual image formats part of its
source tree.

Would anyone else be interested in such an animal?  Nothing else seems to
fit the bill, and I'd be willing to take it on, if it'll get used ...

Regards,
Timothy M. Shead
tshead@k-3d.com