Can't find _nl_msg_cat_cntr in GTK+-1.2.8 Configure

When installing GTK+-1.2.8, and it trys to run the test for GLIB compliance, I get the following error message:

_nl_msg_cat_cntr                    /var/tmp/ccrOr3LB.o

I have GLIB-1.2.8 installed on my system. Is glib missing this symbol? or am I missing another library?

Thanks!

--Andrew