Re: Dumb and fundamental questions, glib 1.2.8 install

Hi There!

> Which directories should I untar glib 1.2.8 and gtk+ 1.2.8 from?  Which
> path should I enter into "etc/ld.so.conf", or  how should I configure
> other files?  Any other tips?

The default glib will install in /usr/local. glib and gtk+ use a
configuration file called `glib-config' and 'gtk-config' respectively
when they are building. There are two work arounds for you:

1)
Rebuild glib with ./configure --prefix=/usr

This causes glib to be built into the /usr directories where RedHat
normally places them. Beware that if your glib falls over, then you'll
have to reinstall the glib libraries before it will work again.

2)
Rebuild gtk and other glib based things with ./configure
--with-glib-prefix=/usr/local

I think that prefix is correct. You might want to attempt this because
it's less likely to break your system but you'll have two sets of glib
living there.

DL
--
The new century begins at the end of this month;
 let the celebrations be brought forth