Re: yet more packing questions

Paul Barton-Davis <pbd op net> writes:
> i cannot see how to do this without fixing the sizes in stone, and
> thats bad design.

This is the problem "GtkConstrain" is supposed to solve,
see:
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2000-March/msg00222.html
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2000-March/msg00225.html

Though I think GtkConstrain has some problems, IIRC. I don't remember
details. We need to get something like this in GTK 2, this reminds me.

> the only other idea i've had is to catch the allocation events in the
> rh vboxes and use the value to set the size of scroll+ruler, but when
> i thought of this, there seemed to be a problem of some kind. not sure
> what it was.

Problem is that you can't cause resizes from inside the resize
process, you'll confuse GTK badly and can get infininite loops.

GtkConstrain IIRC modifies the request of the two widgets so they
request the same size.

Havoc