GtkCanvas origin problems

I'm having a few problems with GtkCanvas. GtkCanvas is supposed to be
a clone of GnomeCanvas so the problem can maybe happen to GnomeCanvas
as well.

I have the canvas in an aspectframe but it was the same problem
berfore I put it there. I want the canvas to start at coorinate (0,0)
in the upper left corner of the canvas, but the origion in the canvas
is about 30% to the right in the canvas. (in 400x400 canvas). If I
make the canvas bigger the origion comes closer the the center of the
cansas the bigger I make the display.

What I want is to have origon in the left corner and than ask the
widget how big the display is, and then fill the canvas depending on
the size of it. Is there an easy way to find the size of the canvas or
the canvas widget?

Regards Johannes