Re: Glib 1.2.8 for OpenVMS

Hi Marc,

> I recently tried to 'port' glib to OpenVMS platform and succeeded.
> During the process I made some changes to the sources and I want make them
> available to everyone else in the spirit of free software exchange. I think
> that these changes can be incorporated in the next version of glib.

Your effort to port GLib to a new platform is very much appreciated. But I
don't think we'll include it into version 1.2.8, as the new version 2.0 will
soon come out. Would you mind trying to port the latest CVS-version of GLib to
OpenVMS? Infos on how to get it are here:

  http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html

Then you could mail us the diffs. Please you gtk-devel-list@gnome.org for that
purpose though.

> The OpenVMS system I used is version 7.1-2 using the Compaq C++
> compiler. This
> compiler, as most c++ compiler is more strict on type checking than the
> regular c compilers. Therefore, most of the changes I had to make are
> typecastings.

Of course it is highly questionable, if you should compile with a C++
compiler. Is that the only chance for you? Otherwise I would strongly prefer a
C compiler, because I don't think we want to cast everywhere. Especially the
gpointer <-> any pointer cast is a feature, not a bug.

Bye,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wilhelmi                   |            här ovanför alla molnen
mailto:wilhelmi@ira.uka.de           |     är himmlen så förunderligt blå