Image library update?

     Hello,
	I'm writing an app that needs to load different image file formats
(JPG, PNG, XPM, et. al.).

	It used to be (especially within Gnome) that the library to use
was the GTK+ version of Imlib.

	But I seem to remember that Gnome was dumping Imlib for some
reason.  Is there some prefered GTK+-aware library for this functionality?
My two desired features are that the lib have a wide install base and not
be too large.  I'd like to avoid a dependence on Gnome, if possible.

Thanks,
Derek