Geometry mystery

I have three widgets in a vbox.  The one on the bottom resizes itself
occasionally, the top two always stay the same size.  The problem I'm having
is that this last widget changes to the requested size, but the vbox does not.
I am using gtk_widget_size_allocate() to do the size change within this last
widget.  What did I forget?
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Once you fully apprehend the vacuity of a
New Mexico State University       life without struggle, you are equipped
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             with the basic means of salvation.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Tennessee Williams