Widget initialization question

In the X Toolkit model of widgets, a widget is created with a set of
compile-time default values.  By the time the widget instance initialization
routine is called, the arguments passed by the user at creation time have
already been set.

To simulate this, I have been tracking when the widget is first realized and
doing what I need at that point.  But I may need finer control over when this
happens.  Is there any other routine that gets called after the first round of
"set_args" done during widget creation?

A prime example are arguments that are used only at creation time and ignored
thereafter.  In short, I don't know how to tell if the widget's set_arg
routine is being called at creation time or later.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Once you fully apprehend the vacuity of a
New Mexico State University       life without struggle, you are equipped
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             with the basic means of salvation.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Tennessee Williams