wondering about signal functions

i have created an expose_event signal function to handle the redrawing of
one of my drawing areas.  This event is automatically called when the
drawing area is exposed-- like when i drag another window over it.  my
question is this: can i also redraw the drawing area by calling the
expose_event function normally, (i.e., like a C user function)?  or does the
function have to have a gdk expose event signal passed to it?
I have briefly tried gtk_signal_emit, but i have found that it segs like
crazy, so i must be using it incorrectly.
thanks for any help,
-bennyk