Re: [gtk-list] Re: window placement upon startup

Anders Melchiorsen wrote:

> > KDE) apparently can position the windows before they come up,
> > so there must be a way. I somehow suspect that the geometry
> > hints for GtkWindow can be used for this, but their syntax
> > is a msytery for me,
>
> Have you looked at gtktest? The "saved position" demo works for me
> with both fvwm2 and Window Maker.

I played around with it for 30 minutes now and I have no clue
what it is supposed to do apart from reporting the current
position. There doesn't seem to be any code that would or would
try to set the position.

I dug deeper into the issue and found out, that maybe KWM is
using the obsolete WMHint fields for positioning the window, not
just for limiting the size (min and max), the problem is that
GTK doesn't set these values anywhere (after all, they _are_
obsolete).

  Robert