Animated Pixmaps

I'm beginning a project that will hopefully end up
having some animated pixmaps.

If you are interested, the idea is to make a Memorex (that silly game
where you've got to turn the two matching tiles)

I fear that leaving that for last might create a hole bunch of
problems.

I see two approaches to this, one would be to change the pixmap once in
a while using "gtk_timeout_add" if I know I'm animating (to do this I
would have to keep a record of each of the pixmaps).
But doing this it will still be attached to this signal when I have
nothing to animate, making it too heavy, wouldn't it?
adding/deleting the timeout? could be.

The other way would be something like "Animate(pixmap)" in which I
could use some "delay" function between each frame. (is this actually
possible?)
This would also be good cause probably I'd like to wait until it
finished the animation to let the user do anything else.

The second one would be easier to implement and a more "batch" solution
for my too-much-time-sequentially-programming head.

by the way, I'm a gtk (and signals) newbie, be gentle.

Thanks.

=====