Re: [gtk-list] glib/gtk 1.2.5 causes kernel panic

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:15:59 +0000 (GMT), Axel Braun wrote:
> i downloaded and installed glib 1.2.5 and gtk+ 1.2.5.
>
> The installation was no problem, it ended without errors.
> But, when I now try to start certain programs (e.g. YAST, the
> configuration tool), the system stops with a kernel panic.

I don't think these kernel panics are related to glib or gtk; it can be
just a coincidence that they show up after you installed GTK. Yast doesn't
use GTK, so it's almost impossible that GTK caused the problem.

> Environment: Suse 6.1, Kernel 2.2.5, xfree 3.3.4, kde 1.1.1

Pretty recent. What hardware?

> What did I wrong?
> Has anyone encountered this problem too?

Not that I know.

> What is the smartest way to get rid of glib and gtk again? I really
> wouldn't fancy a new installation.........

Depends how you installed it. If you used the RPMs, it's just a matter of
"rmp -e [package]"; If you compiled and installed it yourself, "make
uninstall" from the source directories (first gtk, second glib) would do
the trick. However, I don't think that uninstalling GTK will solve your
problem.

Things to look at:
- You tuned your system over the limit. For example: your system's DRAM
  timings are too fast, or you overclocked your CPU. You can test your
  system by compiling the Linux kernel: if gcc stops with a sig11, it is
  probably a hardware error, look at the sig11 FAQ at
  http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ . "It works with Windows" is no excuse:
  Linux pushes your hardware much harder than Windows does.
- Try to isolate the problem. Does it always happen, or only if your
  computer is running for several time (if so, it is a hardware error)?
- Upgrade your kernel to the latest stable release (2.2.12 as I write
  this) and check if the bug still occurs.
- If it does, read the instructions in /usr/src/linux/README and
  /usr/src/linux/REPORTING-BUGS. Report the error to the Linux kernel
  mailinglist (linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl