Re: [gtk-list] GtkFileSelection and symbolic links

Quentin Delamarre posted this back in July,
http://www.gnome.org/mailing-lists/archives/gtk-list/1999-July/0113.shtml

There were no replies, unfortunatley.

I have a very small network, yet I like to use automounting and
often one or more of my other machines are not running.  So,
when Glib or Gtk or whichever layer decides to stat() *every*
file in my /home directory it trips the automounter which takes
a minute or two to time out.  This is just silly.  If I start a
program in "/home/guinan/xyz", then in the program I bring up
the file selector and I select the directory drop-list, I see,

  /
  /home
  /home/guinan
  /home/guinan/xyz

So when I click on "/home/guinan", I don't see any reason for
the program to go and stat() directories like "/home/joeblow",
(which is a symlink to an automounter-controlled mount point).

Running this under gdb, it appears that open_new_dir() gets
called for *every* directory leading up to the selected directory,
doing a readdir()/stat() on every file/directory found, and then a
qsort() on the resulting list.

Shouldn't this only happen for the selected directory?

-Jamie

Jamie Guinan                         Blue Button Solutions, Inc.
guinan@bluebutton.com                  http://www.bluebutton.com