Alternative to GtkText?

So, I keep hearing (even from Gtk+ developers) that the GtkText widget
is really bad and I would be better off not using it, it is going to
get replaced, and so on.

I agree. I have just found another bug in it, and the gtktext.c source
is so complicated that I cannot easily fix it (or even just isolate a
simple test case - but I will try again, and report it later).

The problem is, I really need such a widget. What are my options? Is
there a Gnome widget that I could use (sourcewise) without requiring
me to depend on all the Gnome libraries? Is there an alpha
implementation of a new and improved GtkText? A third party
replacement (I checked GtkExtText which needs to mature a bit more)?

Thanks for any pointers!

--
Mvh. Anders