Re: [gtk-list] GTK+ 1.2 on AIX

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:52:44 +0200, Christian Starkjohann <cs@obdev.at>  said:
> cs@ekpis2> ./testgtk
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Not surprising, if you look at the size of the binary:
>
> cs@ekpis2> ls -l testgtk
> -rwxrwxr--   1 cs       quarks       3226 Sep 24 02:16 testgtk

If you do a 'file', you'll find that this is just a shell script.
Look at .libs/testgtk, that should be about 450K in size.  The shell script
just plays LIBPATH games and then invokes .libs/testgtk

> It's probably a linker problem, but I have almost no experience with AIX and
> don't know what to try next.
>
> Here's some more information about the machine:
>
> cs@ekpis2> gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/rs6000-ibm-aix3.2.5/2.8.0/specs
                                                       ^^^^^^^^ Gronk.
> gcc version 2.8.0
              ^^^^^ Double gronk.
> cs@ekpis2> uname -a
> AIX is2 2 4 000008723500
          ^^^  Triple gronk.

Your gcc was built under AIX 3.2.5, but you are running the compiler
under 4.2.something.  Your problems are *STARTING* with the fact that
gcc likes to run 'fixincludes' and stash them off elsewhere, causing
conflicts when you update the system header files in /usr/include.  I'm
sure that there's other stuff broken as well (gcc.2.8.0 is *ancient*, I'd
not trust it to built anything (including itself) with -O).

gcc fixincludes is inherently evil and a good way to get yourself messed up
because you get an outdated header file.  I'm personally quite amazed that
you got as far as you did - I upgraded one machine that had a gcc built
under 3.2.5 that couldn't "#include <stdio.h>" after being upgraded to
4.1.0, becuase of header file conflicts (some header files were 4.1, but
others were still 3.2.5 because fixincludes stashed them - this sucks if
some things that were macros become functions, and vice versa).

Possible solutions:

1) Install a *recent* gcc, built against your current system.
2) Install the IBM 'xlc' or 'ibmcxx' compilers.  I've been builing
a *lot* of software with ibmcxx 3.6.6.1 and had no hassles at all.

Then go back and rebuild everything, all the way from './configure'.  I'd
not be surprised if the ancient compiler is causing ALL sorts of issues for you.,

Once you resolve that, get a recent copy of libtool, and use the ltconfig
and ltmain from it to rebuild the libtool you use to build glib and gtk.
Check the output of ./configure *carefully* to make sure that the libtool
that gets built has the correct idea of what shared library support you
have (I admit not remembering what release of 4.2.0/4.2.1/4.3.0/4.3.1
IBM started including support for .so format shared libs).  You may have
to resort to stealing the ldAix script from a tk/tcl distribution and
convince libtool to use that to buid a shared library.

Hope that helps..

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer