Long non-GUI operation: getting there...

Hi all,

Thank you for all your help regarding my current task of performing
a long operation! What I did was to attach the "expose_event"
signal to the progress dialog box, which calls the long non-GUI
task when the dialog receives an exposure event. All works well,
except for one thing.

Once the long operation is performed, I want to destroy the
progress box. Right now, I'm calling gdk_widget_destroy() while I'm
still in the expose_event function. I can already feel the steam, and
I know this is a "bad idea". Of course, I get an error:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 3532 (gtk_paint_flat_box):
assertion `style != NULL' failed.

Is there a way I can destroy the dialog once the operation is
complete without causing major havoc?

Thanks,
--Arthur