X selections

I'm trying to get a CList to supply a selection, following the
instructions in the tutorial (19.3). The tutorial refers
to a function gtk_selection_add_handler, but there is no
such function in any of the gtk/gdk header files, nor anything
remotely similar in gtkselection.h. I do see functions like
gtk_selection_add_target so maybe the mechanism changed.

Could someone please provide a quickie explanation on how
to set up a selection handler?

Gtk+ version: 1.2.3
OS version: Linux Mandrake 6.0
Gtk programmer version: Newbie :)