ANNOUNCE: GTK+ 1.2.5-pre2 (please test)

Hi fellow hackers,

we are planning to shortly release version 1.2.5 of GTK+.
Since the changes from 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 are more extensive
then typical for a stable branch, we've made up the second
pre release tarball gtk+-1.2.5-pre1.tar.gz for you to test
out and make sure that it works correctly with your
applications.

Areas where significant changes have been made include:

 * New fixes for expose event discarding code, this should fix
   the initial redraw problems encountered with 1.2.5-pre1.

 * Window-hint setting code, and toplevel resizing.
   (This release should fix the problems reported with
    toplevel resizing for 1.2.4)

 * Theme switching and gtk_widget_modify_style()
   [ See note below about possible new memory
     leaks with gtk_widget_modify_style() ]

 * Support for parallel makes.

So please compile this, test those areas vigorously (as well
as anything else you can think of to test) and report any
problems you find.
This is adressed specifically at those of you who encountered
resizing or redrawing/exposure problems with 1.2.4 or 1.2.5-pre1.
We depend on your feedback and apprechiate it ("stuff works fine
here now" is also worth reporting ;).

The complete list of changes is summarized below.

The pre-release is available at:

ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/test/gtk+-1.2.5-pre2.tar.gz

Thanks,
                                The GTK+ Team

Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.5:

* (1.2.5-pre2) more GtkCTree and GtkWindow bug fixes.
* (1.2.5-pre2) more redraw/resize queue fixes, better expose event
  discarding code.
* (1.2.5-pre2) more miscellaneous bugs fixed
* new configure.in option --disable-rebuilds to completely disable
  rebuilds of autogenerated sources.
* check for 5.002 now, to avoid failing autogeneration build rules due
  to old perl versions.
* fonts (and fontsets) are cached now.
* more autogeneration make rules and dependancy fixups, we should be
  save with autogeneration up to make -j12 now ;)
* new window position GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER_ALWAYS, which will recenter the
  GtkWindow on every size change.
* major rework of window manager hints handling code, fixed a bunch of
  races with the new resizing code.
* the new wm hints and resizing code is absolutely perfect and bug free now,
  it only lacks testing ;)
* fixed up various rc style memory prolems.
* gtk_widget_modify_style() now properly changes the style of realized widgets
  and references the style passed into it. if people worked around this bug,
  this will introduce a slight memory leak in their code.
  The code should typically look like:
            GtkRcStyle *rc_style = gtk_rc_style_new ();
            [...]
            gtk_widget_modify_style (widget, rc_style);
            gtk_rc_style_unref (rc_style);
* fix problems with positioning menus offscreen.
* GtkText fixes for some crashes and drawing errors.
* Better handling for unexpected window destroys in GDK and GTK+.
  This should make it possible to use a GtkPlug and catch the
  case where its parent socket is randomly killed.
* FAQ updates.
* FileSelection i18n patches, RadioButton fixups.
* miscellaneous other bugs fixed.

--
GTK+ Team
http://www.gtk.org/