how to redefine a certain signal/event handler

Hi,

what is the best way to override (redefine) a certain signal/event
handler function?

To be more concrete I would like to replace the function
--
static gint
gtk_text_key_press (GtkWidget   *widget,

With my own and call it (from within my replacement) only in certain
situations. I tried to overwrite GTK_WIDGET_CLASS
(GTK_OBJECT(a_text)->klass)->key_press_event with my own function, but
it did not work. I assume this function is stored somewhere else too.

I know that I can simply add a signal handler before the text handler
and stop the signal, but that's not what I want to do. (Actually I want
to stop only the signal handler from GtkText and only in certain
situations.)

Sorry if this question is somehow vague, but I am afraid my insight into
GTK+ is not deep enough to understand this mechanism (yet :)

best regards and many thanks in advance,
Andreas