Re: Proposal to add a new target flag to DND

Mario Antonio <orion07@wt.net> writes:

> This message is intended to be received by the GTK development team.

It probably would be a bit better to send this to gtk-devel-list.

> After working with GTK for a while, it was noticed that the targets
> were limited to any drop location, a drop location within the same
> application (GTK_TARGET_SAME_APP), or a drop location which must be
> the same as the source (GTK_TARGET_SAME_WIDGET). It was noticed that
> there are other necessities which are not covered yet like having a
> drop location which parent is the same parent as the source
> widget. This option has been added and tested locally and it is
> being put here for your consideration and for every GTK+ developer
> interested.  A new target flag named GTK_TARGET_SAME_PARENT has been
> added in the following patch file. The patch considers version 1.2.4
> as the source.

Hmmm, this seems like it could go on forever. GTK_TARGET_SAME_GRANDPARENT?

Unless SAME_PARENT is more generally useful than I think, I think it
might be best to just supply your own drag_motion handler that uses
gtk_drag_get_widget(). The one change to GTK+ that might be nice in
this case is to make some equivalent of gtk_drag_dest_find_target
public() to make writing a drag_motion handler a bit easier.

Regards,
                                        Owen