Re: Shared memory and images on remote X server

Greg Badros <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> I'm having problems using guile-gtk from within Scwm displaying on a
> remote X server.  Gtk seems to want to use the shared memory and X
> shared memory extensions despite using a remote display.  Is there any
> (run-time) way to turn off the shared memory extension?  Shouldn't gtk
> automatically get this right when the DISPLAY is remote?

Yes. And I use GTK+ over a remote connection constantly.

See the code around line 264 of gdkimage.c. The only reliable
way of detecting the remote display case is to catch the
failure when you first try to create a shared image, so
this is what GDK does.

You can also run your program with the --no-xshm flag, but
it shouldn't be necessary.

Regards,
                                        Owen