Toggle button ?

I have a question regarding gtk_toggle_button_toggled().

The RDP says this changes the state of the toggle button.
What I am seeing is that it issues a toggled signal, but the
state of the toggle button itself remains unchanged (if it
was raised when gtk_toggle_button_toggled() is invoked,
the toggle signal is issued, but the toggle button is still raised,
and if pressed in stays pressed in).

I am seeing that gtk_toggle_button_set_active(tgl, TRUE);
does indeed issue the toggled signal (and the clicked),
and changes the state.

Am I misunderstanding gtk_toggle_button_toggled()?

(I'm still on 1.2.4)
Thanks in advance,
Donna