Re: [gtk-list] Re: widgets without user input

Clint Fairchild wrote:

> Check buttons and scroll bars are made for input.  It's a bad idea to
> use them for anything the user can't change.  The widgets behave the way
> they do for a reason.  You could get the same check effect with a
> pixmap, but I don't have any idea why you're using a scrollbar for
> anything other than scrolling around.

The need for scroll bar: this was a mistake, it is not a scroll bar it
is a range widget. I need it to display the voltages from my
motherboard. The temperature has a value and a range. For this reason,
the range is the ideal widget. But the input from the user is
meaningless: you can't change the temperature by dragging the slider.
For the moment I just disable the widget.

Even so, this is not the perfect solution: what I would really like
would be a range with a colored background:
- green for allowed range
- red for out-of-range

The need for the check buttons: I use them to signal that an ALARM on
one of the sensors was triggered. The idea with pixmaps can be usefull,
I have to agree. I didn't thought of it because:
- the program I used for inspairation is a windoze one and it uses check
buttons.
- I didn't want to bloat the program too much.
- using buttons makes the stuff consisten under different themes.

However, 2 pixmaps with green/red LEDs are going to be more expresive.

Ionutz
--
Mental backup in progress - Do Not Disturb!