Fastest pixel control under GDK

Hi All,

I writing a small render engine app in Gtk--, and as such I need to be
able to draw a double-buffered image pixel-by-pixel as fast as
possible.  What is the best method to do this?  GdkImage seems to be
what I need, using put_pixel and draw_image (although I may be wrong),
but I'm not sure how to get/set the right color values.  Does anybody
have a some example code that shows how to do this?

I gather that Images cannot be drawn on using the normal Xlib commands
(draw_polygon, etc.).  What is the preferred method for clearing an
image, and are there any workarounds for polygon/line drawing on
images?

I realise that this is probably X11 hacking 101, but I'm unfortunately
not much of an X hacker.

Thanks,
Steve