An Odd Problem with Gnome/Gtk and XMMS

I have encountered an odd problem using the latest Gnome and Gtk (1.2)
libraries.

When I run XMMS (an MP3 player), everything works fine for a while.  After
an hour or so, the Gnome menu no longer launch programs, Gtk and Gnome
programms refuse to launch and currently running Gnome apps stop
responding bit by bit.

Until I shut down XMMS.

Then, every Gnome/Gtk app I tried to run starts up and everything comes
back to working.

Has anyone seen this before?  I think that XMMS is locking a library
somewhere, but I am not certain what it will take to track down.

Ideas on how to find the offending library?  A good library trace routine
for example?

alan@ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."