How to correctly show() a widget (Gtk--)

Hi,

I have a widget basically consisting of this:

class DA : public DrawingArea
	{
	Gtk_Window	w;
	Gtk_Menu	m;

	void show_impl ();
	void hide_impl ();
	}

void DA::hide_impl ()
{
        w.hide ();
}

void DA::show_impl ()
{
	this->realize ();
}

hide_impl() works without a hitch. When I call it, my drawing
window disappears as it should. show_impl on the other hand
is less friendly: In it's current state, it gives me a (blank gray) window
of the correct size, but the drawing area is never shown (or refreshed)
even though my program can draw to it without generating thousands
of Gtk-Warnings.

I've tried adding a w->show() to show_impl() but that didn't change
anything; calling this->show() results in a core dump. What is the
correct way of showing a window?

Thanks a lot
--> Robert